Hello, TEDxSalem nation!
The big day is finally near. We can hardly believe it.
Here is everything you need to know about TEDxSalem IV — Revolutions— at Salem Convention Center, 200 Commercial St. SE, Salem, OR 97301.
First off, despite some winter weather headed our way, TEDxSalem will go on. Please ensure your safety first, but if you’re able to travel safely to us, we will greet you with great programming!
Now, on to the nitty gritty.
8 a.m.: Registration and light breakfast
Come early for breakfast, mingling, and to make sure you get the best seats possible. But don’t be too committed to them! We know we’re creatures of habit, but at TEDxSalem, we encourage you to sit in different parts of the theater so you can meet a variety of fellow attendees.
8:30 a.m.: Theater doors open; seats are general admission
9 a.m.: Session one
One way to make your investment pay off during the talks is to take copious notes! Use them to reflect on after the event and think about how these revolutions are applicable in your own life and community.
10:15 a.m.: Recess and snacks
TEDxSalem is not only about talks, though they are what we’re most known for. At an in-person TEDxSalem event, you also get to enjoy breakout sessions, some of which build upon the talks you just heard. Make sure to take advantage, and interact with all the fun stuff we have planned. This is also a great time to meet the speakers and event volunteers!
11 a.m.: Session two
Another key to having a successful TEDx day is an open mind. You may hear some ideas that are uncomfortable or challenging to your established world view. That’s OK. In fact, that’s the point! Just let that discomfort sink and marinate. You may be pleasantly surprised where that leads you!
12:p.m.: Lunch recess
Do your homework. Our blog is full of good info about our speakers. Read up and see whose talks excite you most. Have questions? Seek them out during the lunch recess and pick their brains. They will be among all of us, eating at the same tables!
1:30 p.m.: Session three
You probably hear this enough, but network! TEDxSalem is a great place to find new members of your team, whether that is in the professional or personal sense. Discuss what each of you bring to the table and how you can collaborate to create the types of revolutions we will be talking about!
2:15 p.m.: Recess
Use the volunteers as a resource. They will be the ones in the black T-shirts. If there’s anything that they can do to improve your experience, just ask! Be sure to thank them. TEDxSalem is a 100 percent volunteer-run event. They do this because they believe in our mission of spreading new and interesting ideas.
3 p.m.: Session four
Are you a social media enthusiast? So are we! Share what you’re enjoying about the day on your accounts and use the hashtag #tedxsalem. Just don’t over-do it. You don’t want to miss the magic happening beyond your phone screen!
4:30: Event Finishes
4:30 to ? Afterparty at Taproot Lounge & Cafe
At TEDxSalem, it isn’t over, even after it’s over. Join us at Taproot in downtown Salem to celebrate the day and hang out some more. It is our hope that you make some lasting meaningful connections while you’re with us, so definitely take advantage of every opportunity to connect!
- Starts at 8 a.m. (doors will be locked before that time, so please plan to be there no earlier than 8AM).
- Registration is located on the second floor Salem Convention Center (see map below)
- Look for our volunteers wearing black TEDxSalem T-shirts.
- Name tags will be organized by attendee’s last name, and you can pick it up at registration along with some great gifts.
- Your name tag will be your pass for access to everything throughout the day: the sessions, the action breaks, the after party.
- No physical ticket is required. But please do bring your photo ID.
- At this point, all name tags have been printed. If there is an issue with your name tag, one of our planning team members will be there to help you at registration.
- Doors to the theater open at 8:30 a.m., seating is general admission, and entrance into the auditorium will be first come, first serve.
Tickets will be available for purchase at the door for $55 cash or card only, no checks. Advance tickets at $50 ($40 for students) are available through Jan. 6 at tedxsalem.eventbrite.com.
- There’s limited on-site parking.
- If you can, please consider walking, biking or sharing rides.
- Handicap-accessible parking will be available.
- See map below for all parking available in surrounding areas.
- Coffee, tea and water available starting at 8 a.m.
- Lunch happens at approx 12 p.m. You’ll be able to choose from a variety of options.
- Enjoy a delicious assortment of light breakfast options before the first session begins, plus snacks and beverages throughout the day.
- All of this is included in your ticket price!
- Interpreting services are provided as a collaboration between Western Oregon University interpreting students, the Deaf and interpreting communities, and TEDxSalem.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org