We’re less than two weeks away from TEDxSalem V “Through the Looking Glass.” Don’t have tickets yet? Don’t worry, you can still get them here.
Do we all have our tickets now? Good! Now read these ten tips on how to get the most out of your TED experience Jan. 6 at the Salem Convention Center.
10. Take notes! Bring a small notebook or download a notes app for your smartphone. You definitely want to remember those moments that made you smile, made you think or just jumped out at you. Take a moment during the event and at the end of the day to jot down the insights you gained.
9. Be present in the moment. We love that you want to Tweet and Instagram about your amazing TEDxSalem experience. But don’t get so wrapped up in your phone that you miss a poignant moment during a conversation or a TED talk!
8. Be open-minded. Some of the ideas worth sharing may be shocking. Some might be a little controversial or entirely new to you. Don’t write off a TED talk even if you find yourself bristling at it. Be open to new ideas!
7. First in the door, last out the building. Get there early. You can find your seat, chat up the person next to you, get comfortable and see what other goodies await throughout the day. Last year, participants had the opportunity to purchase books written by our speakers or get some awesome TEDxSalem swag. Stay the whole day and leave late. Listen to every single talk. Do the breakout sessions. Ask a million questions. By the end of the day, you won’t want to leave!
6. Bring something to share. It can be something tangible like your business card or something that’s not like a thought-provoking question or a great book you’ve read recently.
5. Do your research! We love a good surprise, and we hope some of the topics and thoughts will be delightfully surprising. But there’s something to be said for getting excited about your favorite speaker ahead of time! Take a moment to read the TEDXSalem blog for more information about each speaker. Revisit last year’s speakers to get in the spirit of TED! Or visit the official TED blog for more engaging TED talks and choose a few favorites.
4. Network, network, network! TEDxSalem is not a passive or isolated experience. You are at the beautiful Salem Convention Center with hundreds of people just as excited about new ideas as you are! Talk to everyone. Introduce yourself. Don’t ask what they do for a living – ask what they’re passionate about. Make friends, get contacts, discuss the TED talks with them. Force yourself a little out of your comfort zone and chat up a stranger. (Did the introvert in you just cringe? It’s ok. TEDxSalem is for introverts, too.)
3. Our volunteers are a resource! They are the heart, soul and backbone of TEDxSalem, and they are there to make your experience extraordinary. If you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to ask them!
2. Be sure to participate in the breakout sessions. One highlight of TEDxSalem is our speakers, but there’s so much more that goes on throughout the day. If you really want to make the most of your time, don’t shy away from sitting in on the breakout sessions and sharing your own ideas. It’s all about making you think.
1. Immerse yourself in the spirit of TED! TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. It began in 1984 as a conference where technology, entertainment and design converged (hence the name) and now covers almost all topics, including science, business and global issues. Keep all of this in mind as you approach Jan. 6. The day is devoted to sharing ideas!
Get your tickets for TEDxSalem V
TEDxSalem V is an all-day event featuring talks, performances, refreshments, lunch and a swag bag that takes place Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018, at the Salem Convention Center. Purchase tickets here. Follow us on Facebook for the most up-to-date news from our community, and check our website regularly for new information. You can also reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.